2024 Signature Conference Series | Registration
Action for a Better Community’s 2024 Signature Conference will take place virtually on January 11th and 18th, and in-person awards breakfast on January 25, 2024. As we have done in the past three years, the conference series marks the annual kickoff of ABC’s social justice work. By way of a quick refresher, the themes of the past conferences have been: 2021 Racism is a Public Health Crisis – Attacking the 2 Pandemics; 2022 Economic Justice for an Inclusive Recovery; and in 2023 Empowerment, Equity & Accountability… the Journey Ahead. Each succeeding edition is intended to build on the learning, actions, and outcomes of its predecessor. The 2024 installment will do the same.
The planning team has been working on the content of the upcoming conference. We are reminded that Sherita Bullock opened the 2023 conference with a thought-provoking question: How are the Children? She stressed the need for a functional village that has the welfare of our children as its priority. We agree with that and the associated need to build and strengthen relationships. We were also reminded that the need for transformational change requires a much deeper connection with young people. It is that relationship gap that can be partly attributed to the spike in community violence we experienced in 2021 and ’22. We will continue to advocate for evidence based, well-researched, culturally relevant, and responsive solutions as articulated by Dr. Irshad Altheimer, another 2023 conference speaker.
As we continue to examine the current community landscape there are several recurring topics that give rise to our 2024 conference theme. The planning team has decided that we must continue to focus on some of the community’s toughest challenges, but to do so from an asset-based, solutions-oriented mindset. In that vein, we have selected Beyond Trauma… A Journey to Wellness is the ABC 2024 Signature Conference theme. For too many across Monroe County trauma is constant. It must never be ignored. Simultaneously, and in collaboration with our partners, we want to focus on various pathways to wellness. What can we do to usher in a period of social emotional, civic, workplace, and family wellness? Given persistent trauma, what practices can we utilize to enable people to feel a stronger sense of belonging? What investments should society be making so that homeownership is within reach of many more and becomes a part of their wellness? Given the Supreme Court’s ruling on affirmative action, what will our higher education institutions do relative to the need for more BIPOC individuals in the vast number of underrepresented fields of study – many of which impact our social emotional, and physical health?
These are some of the questions we will address on January 11th and 18th, 2024. We are assembling a cadre of presenters who are experts in these fields. Simply put, we want to take and encourage actions that will lead to a better community where wellness in all its aspects is achievable for everyone. And on January 25th we will host our in-person awards breakfast. It was a huge hit in 2023! Nominate an individual or corporation by clicking the "Awards Breakfast" button below.
We want to thank our supporters, sponsors, and partners without whom this series would not be possible. We also want to invite everyone to join us for Beyond Trauma… A Journey to Wellness. This conference will cover a wide but related number of systemic issues. Your participation will help ABC to convene New York State lawmakers, local legislators, leaders in the health care and human service industries, young people, financial institutions, and more to navigate the course to overall community wellness.
REGISTRATION INFORMATION & FEE
- Attendees will have the option of attending one day or two days for one reduced rate of $75.
- The in-person Awards Breakfast tickets are $40. Note: There are a limited number of tickets available for the Awards Breakfast.
- Conference registration includes:
◦ Zoom Admittance on designated day or days
◦ Optional exhibitor showcase
- Webinar Zoom Login Codes will be emailed to attendees 24 hours before the specific day’s events are to begin.
- Accommodations: All requests for accommodations must be made in writing by December 30th, 2023.
- Registration will not be processed without full payment at the time of registration.
- All registration must be processed through this online process.
- For payment by check, please contact Sonjia-Edwards Miller at (585) 325-5116, ext. 4110, or at SEdwards@abcinfo.org.
- Scholarships for students and consumers: A limited number of scholarships are available for designated high school students and identified consumer populations.
- Refunds will not be granted after January 9th, 2024. All refund requests prior to that date are subject to a 25% processing fee.
- Registration Deadline is January 9th, 2024.
- January 11th - Virtual Session
- January 18th - Virtual Session
- January 25th - Awards Breakfast