Health Careers Program
What is the
Health Careers Program?
Health Careers Program (HCP) is an initiative by Action for a Better Community (ABC) that provides case management and supportive services to low-income individuals who desire to work in the healthcare industry.
This program was developed to respond to, and prepare for, the healthcare employment challenges created by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
The Health Careers Program (HCP) is funded by the Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020, for a period of one (1) year starting September 1st, 2021, through September 30th, 2022.
HCP Navigators guide and support participants to elaborate a professional development plan that serves as a pathway to ensure a successful transition into a career in the health industry. Training is organized as a series of manageable steps leading to successively higher credentials and employment opportunities.
The trainings and occupations that we support are:
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Community Health Worker
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Pharmacy Technician
- Billing and Coding
- Medical Office Assistant
- Dental Assistant
What Does the Health Careers Program Do?
Provides quality case management, guidance, and support
Potentially assists with books, supplies, testing/license, and uniform expenses
Accelerates job readiness to promote job security
Provides the following supporting services:
• Childcare assistance through Childcare Council, Inc. • Transportation assistance • Tuition assistance • Referral to other ABC and community organization programs • Uniforms and supplies
- Age 18 or older
- Valid photo ID (driver’s license, NYS ID, benefits card, passport)
- Income level below 200% of federal poverty guidelines for TANF and individuals
- Proof of income (pay stubs, DHS or SSI/SSD budget sheet, Form 1040 tax return, 6 months of unemployment with W-2 or SSI statements, notarized Zero-Income Affidavit)
- Proof of Monroe County residence (addressed billing statement, DHS or social security letter, notarized affidavit of residency)
- US citizenship or legal US residency
After submitting a form, an HCP representative will contact you with further information.