The Benefits Project was launched in 2019 by a diverse group of people from different backgrounds, including local organizations, schools, businesses, government agencies, and community members. They all came together to create a useful tool to help individuals and families.
This project led to the creation of YourBenefitsNow, an online benefits calculator. This tool helps people understand how changes in their income and public benefits affect their overall financial situation. By using this calculator, individuals and families can identify job opportunities that benefit them and avoid potential "benefits cliffs".
Tackling the "Benefits Cliff" Challenge
A "benefits cliff" occurs when someone suddenly loses or experiences a decrease in their public benefits as their income increases. This can be a problem because it might prevent a person from becoming financially self-sufficient if their income isn't enough to support themselves and their household. The Benefits Project aims to help people avoid these situations and make informed decisions about their financial future.
Project Pilot & Updates
Research & Legislation
- Childcare Subsidy Eligibility Expands to up to 300% FPL, beginning August 1, 2022.
- Extra SNAP benefits (or SNAP COVID-19 Emergency Allotments) ended February 28, 2023. SNAP returns to pre-pandemic level in March 2023. For more info:
- Changes to SNAP Benefit Amounts - 2023 | Food and Nutrition Service (usda.gov)
POLICIES TO WATCH
- Senate Bill S765
- (Introduced 2021-2022 Legislative Session)
- Directs a study on the impact of wage increase on eligibility for public benefits
- Status: In Committee
Project Interns: Maryam Ameen, William Dudley and Lauren Stevens
- ESL Charitable Foundation
- Finger Lakes Performing Provider System (FLPPS)
- New York State Department of State (NYSDoS)
- The Administration for Children and Families
- Workforce Development Institute (WDI)