Since 1992, James H. Norman has been the President and CEO of Action for a Better Community (ABC). Before relocating to Rochester, he served as the Michigan Department of Labor's Deputy Director for Administration. Prior to that appointment, he directed the department's Bureau of Community Services, which administered the state's Community Services Block Grant, Weatherization, Energy Assistance, and the Neighborhood Assistance Programs.
Under Mr. Norman's leadership, ABC has expanded services and developed new initiatives to address the needs of low-income individuals and families in Monroe and Ontario Counties.
CURRENT AFFILIATIONS include:
- ABC Foundation Board
- Lifetime Health Care Companies Boards
- Excellus BC/BS Regional Advisory Board
- Lifetime Care Board
- Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency Board
- Council of Agency Executives, Executive Committee
- Gateways Music Festival Board
- Rochester-Monroe Workforce Development Board
- Co-Chair, Facing Race, Embracing Equity Initiative
- Rochester-Monroe Antipoverty Initiative
- Honorary Trustee of The Strong (Museum)
- Distinguished Minett Professor, Emeritus, RIT
- Adjunct Assoc.Professor, Monroe Community College
Mr. Norman received his Bachelor’s in Psychology from Mercer University (Macon, Georgia.), and his Master’s in Social Work (policy, planning and administration) from Western Michigan University (Kalamazoo, Michigan), where he also completed extensive post-graduate coursework in Public Administration. In 2009, he earned a certificate in Leadership/Executive Coaching.
Over the years, Mr. Norman has been a consultant, speaker or workshop panelist at national and state conferences on topics such as Results Oriented Management and Accountability (ROMA), advocacy, structural inequality, poverty trends, community action history, economic security, and not-for-profit governance.
James H. Norman, MSW, CCAP
Action for a Better Community, Inc.
Rochester, New York 14604