Since 1992, James H. Norman has been the President and CEO of Action for a Better Community (ABC). Before relocating to Rochester, he served as the Michigan Department of Labor's Deputy Director for Administration. Prior to that appointment, he directed the department's Bureau of Community Services, which administered the state's Community Services Block Grant, Weatherization, Energy Assistance, and the Neighborhood Assistance Programs.
Under Mr. Norman's leadership, ABC has expanded services and developed new initiatives to address the needs of low-income individuals and families in Monroe and Ontario Counties.
Mr. Norman received his Bachelor's in Psychology from Mercer University (Macon, Georgia), and his Master's in Social Work (policy, planning and administration) from Western Michigan University (Kalamazoo, Michigan), where he also pursued doctoral studies in Public Administration. In 2009, he earned a certificate in Leadership/Executive Coaching.
Over the years, Mr. Norman has been a consultant, speaker or workshop panelist at national and state conferences on topics such as Results Oriented Management and Accountability (ROMA), advocacy, structural inequality, poverty trends, community action history, economic security, and not-for-profit governance.
Current affiliations include:
- ABC Foundation Board
- Monroe Plan for Medical Care Board
- Rochester/Monroe County Workforce Investment Board
- The Strong Board
- Council of Agency Executives
- Gateways Music Festival Board
- Rochester Initiative for Structural Equality (RISE) Coalition
- University of Rochester Medical Center - Community Advisory Board
- Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), Urban and Community Studies Advisory Board
- Distinguished Minett Professor, RIT (2010-2011)
- Adjunct Faculty, Monroe Community College (Since 1999)
- New York State Community Action Association Board
James H. Norman, President/CEO
Action for a Better Community, Inc.
Rochester, New York 14604